Sunday, April 27, 2008

Olympic Torch!

My life here in Seoul is....absolutely amazing... I can't imagine my life any other way than what it is right now. Living overseas has been nothing short of incredible. I'll need to go into detail about how... this, I know. But for now... I want to show you all a bit about what I've been up to this weekend.

It's been another fantastic weekend. James Blunt concert on Saturday night and then tonight after church we headed to City Hall to watch the Olympic Torch come through. It was such a busy site! Here's some pics and video clips to show you a bit of what it was like.




My friend Lindsey was part of the earlier events that started all the way at the other end of the city and was caught in the middle of some pretty interesting riots. Love this girl. She loves adventure!



There wasn't any of that going on this evening though when the torch came through to City Hall. Really though, I was amazed to be amidst a part of history. There are so many tensions and frustrations with China and it surprised me to see so many people embracing China and not even realizing the incredible ways the country is run. Click here to read an article about one of the issues. Here's an interesting photo sure to spark some debate:



I don't know how we got so lucky to be up front... but we were SO close to all the action it was amazing! I really can't imagine how incredible it must be to be in Beijing right now! So I'm pretty seriously considering taking a trip for a weekend to Beijing to experience all the excitement!








This was the (not so intimidating) police force brought in to secure the area:



These guys on the other hand... yes... VERY intimidating:



Me and Linds- Although not too proud to represent Chinese Nationalism, we do love China and it's people. I haven't met someone yet who hasn't been to China who doesn't have a special place in their heart for China and fond memories of their time there.

And we decided to hit up On The Border in Sinchon (I of course never get tired of it)

L to R: Michelle, Lindsey, Myself and Sarah

Sarah just came on Tuesday -- welcome to Seoul Sarah!


I love living this amazing adventure here in Seoul. All I can do is soak in each and every day as they turn into weeks and now, into months! I'm so thankful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jess,
We hung out with Mark this weekend- great times! Sooo, HIS would LOVE to have you!!! We need teachers in our second semester which begins in mid-August, or next year which starts mid-Feb.
In June....anytime we'd love to have you!!