Friday, March 28, 2008

Good times and good eats

Last week it was a really warm night and I felt like getting out for a bit so I met up with Ruda at Dongdaemun and decided to do some night shopping and take full advantage of some good ol Korean street food. We like to do this from time to time :) This shot was taken by Sharon near the Cheonggyecheon stream (this is a man made stream that flows through a large part of the city)

And who can resist all the ice cream out? I've become addicted to it lately. It's soooo good! This was Ruda's treat... so, thanks Ruda!


Last Saturday (the day before Easter), Sharon and I took two of our students out for shopping in Myeong-Dong. We were definitely excited to take Shelly (Sharon's student) and Trisha (my former student) out... we just weren't so excited to be up so early on a Saturday:


We were at Myeong Dong before most of the shopping was even open! So I told the girls I would buy them a "hot choco". Since Shelly doesn't like hot chocolate, we got her a hazelnut steamer. Haha! She had no idea what to think of all the foam on the top of her drink. She was so cute as she played with her drink, very carefully inspecting what she was about to ingest. I of course drank an orange juice because I try to get as much vitamin C as I possibly can... but alas, I've still become sick.

Trisha and I had a fun time fixing Shelly's hair for her, and we decided this pictures look like we had a salon in Starbucks! Shelly initially didn't want any pictures....

But later she gave in :)

Shelly is a really sweet girl and even though she isn't one of my students she came in to my classroom one day and said "Teacher... what is your name?"

I tell her my name.

"Would you like me to call you teacher or Jessica?"

You can call me whatever you'd like, I say. She calls me Jessica all the time now. I think she's the only student who actually calls me by my name.

And this is Trisha. She really dislikes pictures, so it's really rare we got this really fun shot of her. She's so beautiful! I really look forward to getting the opportunity to spend more time with her! The glasses she's wearing are Sharon's - and they used to be her mother's! Aren't they wonderful. :)


Then a little later I was allowed to wear her Nina Ricci sunglasses! Lucky me!



And this is Sharon and I with the bear outside Teenie Weenie - except the bear isn't so teenie weenie is he?

Even though I have been battling sickness, I can't help but be thankful and excited about how adventurous my life is here. I look back and reflect on some of the amazing time I've spent getting to know my students and other people around me. I can only hope that I will be graciously able to partake in more of it. It's getting close to being here for 5 months now, and all I can do most days is be so happy that I have so much more time to spend here!

The only thing that will make it better? Is if anyone decides to come visit and enjoy this culture and life with me.... even if it's only for a week or two! :)

Blessings!

1 comment:

Kim Allen said...

Wow Jessica! How exciting your life is right now! Looks like a blast. Take care and keep us posted.