Sunday, March 23, 2008

One long Sunday

So this Easter Sunday didn't quite feel the same. Kind of how Christmas wasn't REALLY like Christmas. In all all reality it was Christmas, but it definitely did not feel like the usual Christmas. The same felt very true for Easter 2008.

I found myself thinking about chasing around looking for Easter eggs with little John (my cousin) during the usual family trip to Gualala, California. I miss being a kid sometimes! I was actually reminded today from John about the "smurf church" we used to visit. We reminisced about how cool we thought it was. It was a small church with the architecture, yes, you guessed it... that resembles a smurf.

Despite coming down with some sort of cold/flu the day before, I met with Justina for brunch at Hobnob and then headed to church not long after. Church of course was wonderful and we later headed out for Shabu Shabu for dinner with everyone.

We headed for a DR. Fish cafe (the place where the little fish eat the dead skin on your feet). I d esperately wanted to give this a try. Unfortunately it didn't happen (I still don't really understand why) I think there was some communication lost in the translation. I wondered how late we would all be out, so I headed toward the ATM to get some cash in case I needed to take a cab. Well... this is where I realize I do not know nearly enough Korean. I took a look at the numbers after pressing a a few buttons that appeared to be "withdraw" and to my amazement, I saw numbers. "This is good!", I thought to myself. There was a 1, 3, 5, 10, and 30 on this machine. I optimistically pressed the button with 30 댜호 아 (for example) and I was definitely in for a surprise when I heard the bill counter counting WAY more than 3 10,000 won bills.

I WITHDREW 300,000 won instead of 30,000. Basically... I withdrew $300 instead of $30. I couldn't stop myself from laughing and I'm sure the clerk from the store was interested in what was so comedic about the ATM. But I got a good laugh and so did my friends.

I guess I should study my Korean a bit more dutifully, eh?

Blessings to you guys! I'll post some pictures from my Saturday outing with a few students of mine.

No comments: