Tuesday, February 12, 2008

PIPER!

I received a very encouraging email from a friend this week and in it contained some quotes from Christian author John Piper. I enjoyed them so much that I really wanted to share them with all of you. These were encouraging this past week as things seemed to have become a bit monotanous lately and also coming back from vacation I was not looking forward to going back to work. These last few weeks have been a little rough. Lots of up and down stuff. But I'm thankful for any hurt or frustrations I may have been experiencing... it helps to remind me I'm ALIVE! : )

Enjoy-

Piper writes something his professor in seminary shared dealing with "overcoming our bent toward blindness for the wonders of the ordinary".

He states:
-At least once every day I shall look steadily up at the sky and remember that I, a consciousness with a conscience, am on a planet traveling in space with wonderfully mysterious things above me and about me.

-I shall not fall into the falsehood that this day, or any day, is merely another ambiguous and plodding 24 hours, but rather a unique event filled, if I so wish, with worthy potentialities. I shall not be fool enough to suppose that trouble and pain are wholly evil parentheses in my existence but just as likely ladders to be climbed toward moral and spiritual manhood.

- I shall not turn my life into a thin straight line which prefers abstractions to reality. I shall know what I am doing when I abstract, which of course I shall often have to do.

- Even if I turn out to be wrong, I shall bet my life in the assumption that this world is not idiotic, neither run by an absentee landlord, but that today, this very day, soe stroke is being added to the cosmic canvas that in due course I shall understand with joy as a stroke made by the architect who calls Himself Alpha and Omega.

I really enjoyed this and I hope you do too. I'll update ya'll on my trip to Busan shortly once I get my computer fixed..... yet again. I'm getting closer to purchasing a Mac. : )

Blessings!

No comments: