Saturday, November 10, 2007

Bittersweet Surrender

Well all - I have finally made it to my new home.... Seoul, Korea. Travels were pretty good for the most part (I love flying, so it usually takes a lot to make it bad) But did have a few hiccups along the way. Before I get into that though, can I please issue a HUGE THANK YOU! to all my friends and family who have been amazingly supportive. Honestly you guys, I don't think I have ever felt so loved. It's so nice to know that when I was flying, when I was sleeping last night, I knew I had people praying. Here's a few pictures from the going away party and from the airport - these are from the new (way too nice, I might add) camera my Bible Study bought me:


Adrian, myself and Naomi : )



And this is the gang that was at the airport:

So thank you all so much for being there for me when I left and for all the kind words and cards! I was a little bummed though that my awesome friend Wes didn't make a showing to my going away party. He's in SLC and wasn't able to get work off. Bummer.

Anyhow.... I made it to San Fran on time, but it was a very short layover.... just about an hour, and flying internationally always makes things more complicated and takes longer. And it wouldn't have been a problem except the handle (the one that pulls up and out) for my carryon totally busted! So here I was running through the airport with my heavy carry on until finally I made it through all the really important stuff. I made an executive decision though and bought a new suitcase in the airport, hurried and switched it over, literally ran to my gate, checked in and got on the plane just in time. Needless to say, my shoulders today, after sleeping on a hard Korean bed are tremendously sore : )

The flight was uneventful and I got my first hard dose of reality though when I got off the plane and had to really make it happen. I said to myself "It's go time!" and with that, I went. With much misunderstanding and frustration, I finally made my way to get a cell phone, get a bus, catch another taxi, and finally to the hotel.

In the midst of my flutter and EXTREME tiredness, I kept almost speaking Chinese to every person I tried to talk to, just to have some small means to being able to communicate. But then I'd have to remind myself they don't speak that, either!

The adventure will continue this week as I enter training to teach. I have today to rest and explore and get myself a bit more settled. I am excited to see and explore my new town and meet people to share with!

Please pray for the return of one of my suitcases. One of my major pieces of luggage was not at the baggage claim when I got there.

Thanks again to you all.

Blessings.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad to hear you made it!!! Lost luggage is annoying but hopefully it will work out for you. Sounds like it should be a very busy and exciting week for you (the way you like it). Blessing in your coming adventure

Alex said...

Love you so much, and I always love hearing about all of the obstacles you face but continue running the race. There you go continuing to be an amazing encouragement to me! I will comment more later but just wanted to say HI!!

John said...

Jessica,
The Girl Next Door, is now many doors away! Good for you girl:) Its amazing that each time we set off on a journey in life, we discover new things about ourselves. Until now I diddn't realize how much I envy or admire the person you are, and I look forward to greeting the woman you'll become on your quest to make the world a better place. Much love sending your way Jessica.