Sunday, December 2, 2007

The new place

Let me first just apologize for how long it has taken me to give you all an update! I started teaching last Monday and it was a busy week getting settled into my new job - but I have enjoyed it so much! So many of these kids are so precious and it's been fun to be challenged with learning to do something so different from marketing.

Last weekend I had the opportunity to meet up with a new friend - Michelle. She is actually what I'd like to call a "real" teacher from Tennessee. She's fabulous! We journeyed to Itaewon (as I mentioned last time) Here's a picture of her and I from this last weekend before heading off to lunch then the museum:

Here's more pictures from our trip to Itaewon last weekend:





Here's a picture of Seoul tower ! I can't wait to go check it out soon.













Last week I actually moved into my new place on Tuesday instead of Saturday. I spent time moving in and getting settled, and my visa run to Japan was pushed back another week, so I'll actually be heading out tomorrow. I am thankful though because it has given me more time to get my apartment set up for what I need. The director/principal of our school took Kevin and I to get bedding and stuff at E-Mart (like Wal-Mart)... and he took us all around to look for a bed. We had a good time, and I'm so thankful that Kevin can speak Korean too! So he could translate for me.... oh the luxury! : ) This is Kevin and our director - we're in another store similar to E-Mart looking for a bed and we took a break to eat:
Wednesdays we don't work - so Kevin helped me go grocery shopping haha. I was asking him just about every 20 seconds what something was! Poor guy... but he was so helpful and I can't even tell you how much I appreciated it.

This is some of the food we got - this is actually pig intestine filled with some sort of black noodle? Anyhow... you dip it in salt and it's really quite tasty. It tastes very similar to sausage. I forget what it's called though! : (

Here's some pictures of my new place! I like it so much because I'm comfortable and it's right next to E-mart.... just right next door, the subway is next door on the other side of me, and there's so many restaurants and shopping right outside my door!
It's so convenient also because I'm only a five minute walk to school (work). So I'm pretty stoked. It really doesn't get much better than that folks!

And this is right outside my window. The pictures really don't do it justice but the mountains (you can barely see in the photo) are really beautiful. Especially at night with the sun setting. Definitely doesn't top my North End of Boise Camelsback view ; ).... but I still enjoy it! There's actually a place to go hiking and totally get away from the city - so I look forward to doing that in the next few weeks.
Something else that is so nice is I live near VERY close to two other teachers - Kevin and Shelly, and then Sharon (another teacher) actually lives in my building - 9th floor. Don't worry dad.... I got the 5th floor - it's the closest I could get to the ground. : ) Dad's got a "fireman" brain so it came into play when I told him about my living situation... so he asked that I try and get an apt closest to the ground! : )
Here's a photo of my classroom! I have 5 different sets of students each week, teaching 4 different types of classes. I hate to admit it, but I already have favorites! I'll be sure to send some pictures of them soon.
So THIS weekend... I started Korean class! I can't tell you how excited I am!!! The class is held at a church called Onurri, which is actually where I went on Sunday for church. What a great fellowship! It's pretty large, but I absolutely loved it and can't wait to get plugged in and I'm very excited to serve. This is a picture of my teacher Chloe and Candace, another student in our class.


We all went for lunch afterward and then headed out to the National Museum - then shopping at Myeong-Dong... it was fabulous!
And look! It's almost Christmas....


This is a photo of a 10 story pagoda (left) at the museum and a crown of a former king (right) - it weighs over 20 pounds!
I head to Japan tomorrow for my visa run - so please hope it goes well... it should be interesting to see what happens! I tried today to email you all or call - so hopefully I'll be able to get in touch with those of you I missed. I still can't believe I'm here - tonight after work a few of us headed out to get some food, and I was telling them how I still don't believe I'll really be living here for an entire year!

Love and blessings to you all!
"Warn those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone." - 1 Thes. 5:14

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holly smokes...your apartment is sooooooooo amazing...like seriously, you are so lucky. I was so afraid that you would be living in this tiny little "old" apartment. Yeah Yeah and more Yeah!!!!! BTW E-mart is my heaven...I love it. I go there just about every other day with my mom...its sooo much fun! Remember when I said shopping in Korea is different because you shop in building that are tall...now do you believe me?!?!?! Oh yes, and that meat looking sausage thing you were eating...I think its called "soon-dae"...hahaha and I'll happily admit that I have not tried it! Muahahhahahah I know I'm bad! I am sooo happy that you are learning all these new things and actually liking them. I am also sooo happy that you found a church and a place that teaches Korean...HOW FUN! Your friend Kevin seems so helpful...how nice! Well I will stop all the chit chat for now...you should call my mommy...I think shes getting lonely knowing that Christmas is coming up and she has no children around. Give her a buzz! Maybe you two can hang out!

Well miss you tons...take care!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jess!

It was cool reading (and seeing) so much about your new situation. Gilbey and I are busy as all get-out so far. Can you believe it's only been a little over a month since Brick? Seems like a year's worth of stuff has happened since then!!! Anyways, continued success and hope you enjoy your new adventure to the fullest. Oh, and "trip out" on that intestine thingy you ate. You're pretty brave :)

Anonymous said...

Friend you are one busy girl!!!! I am so glad you seem to be having a fun time and I am super proud of you! I can't wait to hear more and you are always in my prayers! I read this verse and thought of you because your faith in Christ and love for him and the people there shines through so much!
"The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love." Gal. 5:6
Thanks for the updates friend! Love you!