Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Out on the town...

So after a few phone calls to a few of you guys back home, I decided to take the advice of the last person I talked to and decided to get out for a while (Thanks Nate.... I had no idea how great it would be!)
The first thing I did was head over to the department store again (so far so good.... DIDN'T get hit by a car this time) and tried on a few $300 pair of boots that I desperately want ; ) but I did decide to buy a new winter coat. It suddenly dropped like 15 degrees last night and it was snowing!
Here's a picture of what it looked like last night from the window of my hotel:

So I decided the snow was excuse enough to buy a new coat - but I love it!
Then, I went to a little place called Holly's Coffee (kind of like Starbucks.... but in Korea) and had some amazing time to read - and enjoy a sandwich!


I wanted to share something real quick though from the book I was reading. Donald Miller (the author) is describing in the beginning of his book how a lot of authors provide steps in self help books and formulas or ways to be succesful and such.

"The truth is there are a million steps, and we don't even know what the steps are, and worse, at any given moment we may not be willing or even able to take them; and still worse, they are different for you and me and they are always changing. I have come to beleive the sooner we find this truth beautiful, the sooner we will fall in love with God who keeps shaking things up, keeps changing the path, keeps rocking the boat to test our faith in Him, teaching us not to rely on easy answers, bullet points, magic mantras, or genies in lamps, but rather in His guidance, His existance, His mercy, and His love."

I felt this was extremely powerful and very real to each and every one of us. Hopefully you enjoy it as much as I did. I took great comfort today in knowing that even though I still don't have my apartment, and I feel so bored because everything is new and unknown, that I have been perfectly placed here by the Lord and I can place my hope in knowning that He's guiding me the entire way.

I decided to go for a walk and that I was up for the challenge of trying to find out where my school is. And guess what! I was successful in finding it!

Here's a pic of the building I'll be teaching in.... I'll be on the 6th floor:
Also on my "journey" today, I realized there's a little greenbelt that runs along the barely filled river:

I finally made it back to the hotel and there was a huge amount of flowers/arrangements in front of the hotel.... I thought it was either a funeral or a wedding. And since there's a wedding hall on the 10th floor, I decided it was probably a wedding. I felt so awkward about heading through the front doors. I was thoroughly expecting the bride and groom to walk out, right as I'M walking in because wouldn't that be my luck. But it didn't happen and I met the most wonderful older woman on the elevator. Usually older women here are brutal. Since it's a confucian society, EVERYONE respects their elders. Basically you get pushed out of the way by these old teeny tiny women if you're in their way. But not this lady. She was gracious to put me in the elevator first and to make sure my ride from the 1st to the 7th floor was ever so enjoyable. This honestly made my day and brought a huge smile to my face.
Here's a pic of the front of the hotel with all the flowers. And of course I can't read any of it : )
Here's a few other pictures from my walk - I was gone for about 4 hours so I was able to see quite a bit. I can't wait to go the other direction tomorrow!











And as requested..... more video!! : ) This is on the way to the school.

I continue to miss you all VERY much but will continue to pray for all of you and look forward to hearing more about how things are going back home. Some of the more exciting news on the home front is the new addition to our family - my aunt Beth heads to the hospital to have the baby tomorrow.... Welcome Keylie! I'm so bummed I'm not there but can't wait to see pix (hint, hint!!!)

Blessings!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

it snowed here today too